At Summerfields Primary School, all children have access to a wide curriculum which includes English, Maths, Science, Computing, Geography, History, Music, Art, Technology, PSHE and PE. We follow a locally agreed syllabus for RE. Most emphasis is placed on English, Maths, Science and Computing.
The Foundation Stage
The Foundation Stage class (Year R) builds upon the children’s previous experiences and learning within the family and wider community. The school follows the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum.
These refer to:
- Personal and social development
- Communication, Language and Literacy
- Problem solving, reasoning and number
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical development
- Creative development
At all stages and ages we will help the children to:
- Develop a command of basic English and communicate with others
- Enjoy reading for pleasure or information
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of basic mathematical operations including number, measures, shape, algebra and data handling
- Appreciate and develop skills in creative arts and music
- Enjoy and become skilled in recreational activities such as sport, drama and dance
- Become curious about their immediate and wider environment and understand their responsibility to and for it
- Increase their scientific knowledge and understanding
- Learn that courtesy, good manners and consideration for others are very important qualities
- Encourage good health and a positive self image.
Children are grouped by ability for some subjects.
Various teaching methods are used, depending on the task in hand, and these include whole class lessons, children working in separate groups and individual work. Our aim is to help children to learn in an enjoyable and interesting way.
KS1 phonics is taught through Letters and Sounds and we use Oxford Reading Tree as our reading scheme.
If you require more information, please email the school or send a message through the ‘Contact Us’ page here.
Click the links below to access a year by year curriculum overview.